The Residence Programme is intended for foreign writers, offering them the opportunity to stay 4-8 weeks in Buenos Aires as part of their professional and artistic development. Each year two calls will be made during the months of April-May and September-October. REM stands as a forum for dialogue and literary creation., geographic and political issues, not only through the work and presence of prestigious writers and specialists residing in the country, but also through annual activities and events that count on the Residence Programme as their main management and promotion agent.
● Authors willing to apply must have at least two published books (novel, short story, poetry, children's literature, literary non-fiction).
● Academic papers and self-published works will not be considered.
● If not Spanish speaker, it is desirable (but not an exclusive condition) that the author has works translated into Spanish.
● The writer in residence is committed to dedicate his time in Buenos Aires to work on a manuscript. He/she must present a motivation letter and advance a concise and concrete plan to carry out during the stay.
● An expert panel will select annually the participants in REM.
● Argentine writers residing in other countries are excluded from selection.
● Airline tickets from and to their home city
● An apartment to develop their activities during their stay
● One stipend of u$s 500 intended to contribute to various expenses for the duration of the programme (5 weeks).
MALBA Literatura will arrange for participants an agenda of activities with local figures and institutions, enabling participants to know the cultural activity in the city. Participation is optional. Invited participants will have two encounters with general public (lectures, interviews) as a part of their residence activities.
MALBA will invite each resident to produce a short text (1000 words) that can be published on the MALBA website.
John M. Coetzee
Writer, South Africa
Editor and writer, Argentina
M. Soledad Costantini
Director, Malba Literatura
Editor Siruela, Spain
President of Pen Argentina and writer, Argentina
Manager: Magdalena Arrupe